FieldNotes - Features, tools and capabilities
Probably the most important aspect of FieldNotes is the ease with which you can get started. The software is:
- straight-forward to setup,
- very easy to use,
and each step is described in a detail in the accompanying tutorials and help pages.
Installing and using FieldNotes does not require any specialist technical knowledge or third-party applications. To try it out now simply:
- download the installation file from the FieldNotes website (or request a CD);
- click the file's icon on your computer to start the installation,
- follow the instructions, referring to the tutorials and help pages if you require further information.
Once you start using it, you can decide exactly how much (or how little) detail about your wildlife observations you wish to record.
And as you gain confidence you'll quickly find yourself exploring its more advanced features and capabilities, whilst at the same time familiarising yourself with the latest environmental approaches and systems.
FieldNotes offers a range of exciting features, carefully integrated to ensure a highly effective work-flow:
clean, easy-to-use interface
- separate windows and toolsets for data entry / record processing / maps.
Session mode - for data-entry and general tasks
- maintains a detailed summary of your activities.
Worksheet mode - for inspecting and selecting records
- one-record-per-line format, with filtering, allowing rapid comparison of data.
Map mode - for creating maps from your data
- OpenGL graphics provide publication-quality maps.
document-style report creator
- summarise your observations in report format.
web-page report creator
- share your observations on the web in classical one-record-per-page site.
web-page map creator
- publish your observations online in map format.
extensive underlying datasets
- familiarise yourself with commonly used environmental classification systems.
searchable Habitat databases
- explore the Phase 1 categories; Geology, Soil, Vegetation and Freshwater classification schemes; Priority Habitats list.
searchable Species database
- explore the Taxonomic classification scheme, Species data and Priority Species list.
efficient workflow with easy access to tools
- designed to minimise time spent behind the computer.
extensive online document set
- context-sensitive help, tutorials and comprehensive online resources included.
- data files and templates to get you going quickly.
Tools and Utilities
FieldNotes also includes a number of tools and utilities designed to simplify common tasks:
- always record at the level of detail that you are comfortable with.
database of over 55,000 UK species
- includes alternative names, UK status, protection and taxonomic information.
extensive compendium of Common names
- probably the largest collection of common names for UK species.
inexact (fuzzy) search methods
- resolve species efficiently, independently of regional differences in spelling or punctuation.
interfaces with the UK Species Inventory online database
- quickly reference online data for species of interest.
postcode / grid-reference lookup tools
- check your location data are free from errors.
coordinate conversion tools
- easily convert points between different spatial systems.
GIS layering functionality
- select relevant map layers to increase clarity.
interactive map data
- access individual record information directly from map by clicking.
includes Vice county boundary maps for Great Britain
- display observations within the context of your recording area.
OS Map tile interface
- use real background maps to provide a geographical context.
'set-and-forget' calendar tool
- simplifies data-entry process.
works with the Windows clipboard
- copy and paste data (records, maps, logs) straight into Word documents and text files.
Try before you buy!
To get a better feeling of how wildlife recording works, and explore the many advantages of using FieldNotes, why not take advantage of our 60 day free trial - and take a fresh look at your environment today!